Shades of Motherhood strives to create healthy, equitable relationships between women of color and reproductive health through immersive, community-driven experiences that catalyze the physical, mental, and spiritual health of children, and families in underrepresented communities.
We are a movement and an aspirational vision for the future where:
- Project-based learning is the catalyst for Reproductive Health Education and Social Justice.
- Women of color safety and health education is accessible, clear, and inviting to everyone.
- Black women’s voices in birth and postpartum care are elevated in their own communities through conversations, peer support, training, and group experiences.
- Doulas’ services are amplified and brought to the forefront of childbearing and maternity education, incrementally repairing the fraught past of obstetrics malpractice in our communities.
Shades of Motherhood provides a sanctuary for reproductive health and a promise for its positive transformation. We strive to:
- Highlight these disparities through storytelling, visual arts, and reflective practices that call the community to create action and change.
- Center the voices of Doulas in our evolving programs; SIM (Stand Informed Mamas) partnerships for postpartum screenings and care education, Doula Recruitment/Development, Girl Get a Doula Podcast, Reproductive Justice Bill of Rights, Coaching, and Peer Mentorship.
- Foster experiences that encourage curiosity, joy, spirituality, and interconnectedness in the name of maternity and childbearing.
- Engage in honest dialogue about the histories of healthcare disparities.
- Create opportunities and belonging centering on those who have not always felt welcome.
- Nurture relationships between Women of Color, Doulas and Reproductive Health.
- Act responsibly with an intentional commitment to change how we think about, and engage with Social Justice and Activism.
- Respect our capacity and strive for Reproductive Health and Justice in all we do.